Saturday, January 28, 2012

Finally!

Well, we've finally done it!  We have made a decision and a plan and we are going forward with it.  Siu has struggled in school and with school since she started kindergarten.  Even back then, I wanted to home school her, but didn't have the nerve to.  I was afraid she would miss out on something, or I wouldn't do a good enough job, etc.  And then each year as I watched her getting further behind, caring less and less, that little spark of excitement for learning getting dimmer and dimmer, it broke my heart.  Those little voices kept coming back to consider teaching her myself.  But then other voices would whisper in my other ear, that I'm not organized enough, I'm not structured enough, I might not do a good enough job and teach her everything that she needs to learn.  But things are getting worse, not better and I can't watch her continue on this way any more.  Monday morning I am withdrawing her from public school and we will start our homeschooling experience together.

Why can't I teach her?  I'm have taken all the elementary education classes.  I did most of my student teaching.  I just didn't graduate, but I still have all the training of an elementary teacher.  I know how to plan and teach lessons, but most important I love my little girl more than anybody!  I want what's best for her and right now I'm what's best for her.

We are both excited for this new experience and we are looking forward to discovering and learning together.

2 comments:

Coleen said...

Good luck, don't second guess yourself. Go with your gut instinct and press forward. You will do great and so will Siu. Keep us posted on her progress and how things are going.
Love you

Jenelle said...

Awesome! I get mixed responses when I tell people that I want to homeschool my kids- but I think the same as you- I'm an educated woman and no one knows or loves my kids better than I do- so why not?
Best of luck, please let me know your strategies/triumphs/challanges as you go so I can learn from you :)